Renovations to the cable car in Venezuela’s western city of Mérida, the world’s highest and second longest cable car, have involved a total investment of $318 million by the government, according to the president of the company Ventel, José Gregorio Martínez.
The funds were used to build the cars, remodel the infrastructure and reposition the cable in a process that took nearly two years and employed 500 Venezuelan workers. Martínez said the work is proceeding according to schedule.
During a tour of the five stops along the route, which goes from Mérida to Venezuela’s highest mountain, Pico Bolívar, Martínez said that more than 20,000 tons of materials were brought in for the project.
It was carried out in coordination with the Austrian company Doppelmayr. The manager of that company, Philipp Beiner, said that it offered supervision in the initial phases during the construction of towers.
Doppelmayr’s local director, Juan Manuel Fayen, said that due to the Austria-Venezuela cooperation agreement and its clause on technology transfer, a group of Venezuelan technicians was trained to operate and maintain the cable car.
It will be finished by the end of this year, and will carry over half a million visitors per year, over four times more than it did previously.
AVN/ Press-Venezuelan Embassy to the U.S./ November 6, 2012